Why You Should Be Aware Of Cyber Attack In 2023
Cyber security experts have revealed that phishing and social engineering have posed severe threats to their organisations in 2022. Cyber security is essential for businesses because various companies like Revolut, Dropbox, Uber, Twilio, Marriot International, and LastPass have been compromised by cyber attackers that cost them their confidential data.
What is a Cyber Attack?
A cyber attack is when a third party gains unauthorised access to a system or network. A hacker or attacker is someone who conducts a cyber attack.
Cyberattacks are detrimental. They may result in data loss or manipulation. Companies suffer financial losses, decrease customer trust, and damage their reputation. Cybersecurity is used to prevent cyberattacks.
Types of Cyber Attacks
Cyber attacks in South Africa are common. Business owners must learn the different forms of cyberattacks. We will discuss top cyber attacks that can impact your organisation.
Phishing is when an attacker tries to get a user into a trap, such as by opening a malicious link or visiting a suspicious website.
There are four types of phishing attacks.
- Spear phishing
- Email phishing
The victim’s system is compromised by malicious software in a malware attack. These attacks are also known as viruses and include malware, ransomware, control and command, and other specialised attacks.
How to Prevent Cyber Attacks?
Cyber attacks might infiltrate your computer’s data, leak, steal and hold your information hostage. Every company and organisation must take steps to prevent cyberattacks. Following are the preventive measures you can take to avoid cyber attacks:
- Train your staff regarding cyber security and teach them about cyber attacks.
- Update your systems and software.
- Make sure your systems are protected from end-to-end.
- Protect your network using a firewall.
- Back up your data in case a cyber attack occurs to prevent significant downtime, financial loss, and data breaches.
- Control who can access your systems or network. Any unauthorised visit should be detected and checked on time.
- Hide your networks and secure your WIFI to protect your systems and network from outside attacks.
Frequently Asked Questions
Still looking for more info? We’ve compiled a list of FAQs – Check them out.
1. Why is Cyber Security Important?
It could damage your company if the available information is compromised or gets in the wrong hands. Therefore, you should always be prepared with effective measures against cyber threats.
2. What is a Man-in-the-Middle Attack?
It is also known as an eavesdropping attack. In this attack, the attacker intervenes in the session between two users and collects their data without letting them find out. Hackers use this tactic to alter and steal data.
During this attack, the client-server communication is disabled, and the communication channel now passes through the hacker.